|Comment / Suggestion:|
Public comment presented during April 20, 2022 Engagement Panel Meeting:
DYLAN CANTERBURY BAKER:· Hi.· I am
Dylan Canterbury Baker.· I am an actual resident of SLO
County.· I live about seven miles from Diablo Canyon.
· · · · ·And one thing I have been very interested in
hearing is what are you also doing to address the
increased risk of seismic activity here?· Because, I
mean, now, in foresight we'd find it odd to build a
nuclear plant here in such a volatile zone.
· · · · ·And considering the storage is on-site is
unlikely to change for awhile, how is that going to be
addressed in the equation of keeping the nuclear waste
safely stored.· Thank you.
· · · · ·MR. ANDERS:· Okay.· We got the question.· Is
there anything else?
· · · · ·DYLAN CANTERBURY BAKER:· Just I am eager to
hear what you all have to say about this because I know
it's a concern of many people who live in SLO County and
live near it, and I go near Diablo Canyon pretty
frequently because I live in Avila Bay.
· · · · ·MR. ANDERS:· Okay.· Thank you very much for
· · · · ·KARA WOODRUFF:· Chuck.
MR. ANDERS:· Yes, Kara.
· · · · ·KARA WOODRUFF:· Can Philippe give a brief
answer just on the seismic, like the bolting, and
maybe -- I guess we will be talking about the new casks
later in the evening --
· · · · ·PHILIPPE SOENEN:· Yeah.
· · · · ·KARA WOODRUFF:· -- but I think his question
also concerns existing casks.· Maybe you can do a brief
explanation on the seismic protections there.
· · · · ·PHILIPPE SOENEN:· So our system itself, I
should mention, would be we do have a modified
HI-STORM 100, it's seismically anchored.· They have
anchorage studs that go over 7 feet into the concrete,
and there's 16 of these studs around the base to prevent
any tip over.
· · · · ·The Nuclear Regulatory Commission looked at
those analyses and postulated a specter for our seismic
at the ISFSI.· Similar bedrock as the power plant is
· · · · ·So those were all analyzed and approved by the
Nuclear Regulatory Commission for the -- being able to
withstand, with margin, any seismic events that would
happen at the site.
· · · · ·KARA WOODRUFF:· Thank you.
· · · · ·MR. ANDERS:· Thank you, Philippe.· Thank you,