|Comment / Suggestion:|
Public comment presented during the May 25, 2022 Engagement Panel Meeting:
· · ·MR. HOFFMAN:· Thank you.· I realize it's late, so I will try to be quick.
· · ·(Inaudible) started with horizontal casks and then went to vertical.· You started with vertical casks and they're going to horizontal.· Somebody's got to be wrong.· I -- I don't understand why there's the difference and why you're disagreeing with Sam and Oakley's consideration after they've spent years trying to decide what to do.
· · ·Also, regarding the safety of waiting to fill the canisters.· And there's -- a lot of people have been pointing out how much more radioactive the fuel is at the beginning. That's a pretty strong argument for keeping the -- for shutting the plant down, and then four years from after it's shut down, it -- everything is a lot safer than it was when it was operating.· So I think a lot of that discussion lends itself to the idea that, let's go ahead and shut the plant down.· Much more massive radiation problems, that phrase was just used, and I think that applies especially when operating reactor. · · ·And lastly, my last point is, I don't think that the -- the casks you're designing are protected against a large airplane strike.· I don't think that's possible to do.· And so I'd like you to address that issue with airplane strikes, typically of very large airplanes.
· · ·And thank you very much.· This has actually been very wonderful to listen to.
· · ·Actually, I am calling from Carlsbad.· I live near Salmon Oaks.· Thank you.